Tuesday, August 14, 2012

A New Go-To

I have discovered a new go-to recipe. It's perfect to cook on a Sunday or Monday evening as it will give plenty of leftovers for lunches all week. I had first seen this recipe on Pinterest and then another blogger raved about it so I decided to give it a shot. Sometimes I'm apprehensive to make new recipes for P. I don't consider him a picky eater, but he is not always eager to try some of the new recipes I find online. Well he loved this one and was fine when I suggested making it two Sundays in a row. It's that easy and good! I opted to make some substitutions from the original recipe to lighten it up. 

Baked Cream Cheese Spaghetti Casserole
Source: Pinterest via www.plainchicken.com

12 oz spaghetti (I used whole wheat noodles)
28 oz jar of spaghetti sauce
1 lb lean ground beef (I used mild Italian chicken sausage)
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1 clove garlic, minced
8 ounces cream cheese (reduced fat or fat free)
1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated (I also used part-skim mozzarella)

Step 1: Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Step 2: In a skillet, brown the meat until cooked through and drain grease. Return to skillet and add spaghetti sauce.
Step 3 (done at the same time as Step 2): Cook spaghetti according to package directions. Drain and put in large bowl.
Step 4: Mix in cream cheese, Italian seasoning and garlic. Stir until cream cheese is melted and spaghetti is thoroughly coated.
Step 5: In a lightly greased 9x13 pan, spread a small amount of the meat sauce on the bottom. Put spaghetti mixture on top of sauce then cover with remaining sauce. Sprinkle with cheese.
Step 6: Bake for 30 minutes, until bubbly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS