Sunday, July 29, 2012

Summer Reading

While on my bloggy break, I've been getting a lot of reading done this summer. I always enjoy a good chick-lit book, but I am drawn to them even more in the summer.

Two of my favorite reads so far this summer have been The Next Best Thing by Jennifer Weiner and Summer Rental by Mary Kay Andrews.


Jennifer Weiner is one of my favorite authors. I think I have read every book she has written. While some of her story lines tend to be the same (imperfect woman + family struggle + heartache), they are always entertaining and quick reads. When I first discovered she was releasing a new book this summer I pre-ordered it right away. The Next Best Thing lived up to my expectations. It's actually a continuation of the short story "Swim" from Jennifer Weiner's collection of short stories, The Guy Not Taken. If you are looking for a good summer read, I highly recommend this one.


Summer Rental is a book I picked up for $8 from Costco. I carried it around with me for a few weeks before I actually started reading it. Once I sat down, I really got into it. It's a fun read about a group of childhood friends who are now in their 30s and rent a house in the Outer Banks for a month. They each are in different places in their lives and each dealing with their own struggles. It's not a book that's going to make you ponder the purpose of life or have an epiphany, but it will entertain you while trying to beat the summer heat.

Next up on my summer chick-lit reading list is Emily Giffin's new novel, Where We Belong. I read Emily's earlier books but passed on reading Love the One You're With; I could couldn't get into a story line about a newly married woman questioning her life after a chance encounter with an ex. I'm hopeful her new book will be just as good as her first. 

I've also been contemplating reading Andy Cohen's autobiography, Talkative. As I've confessed before I'm obsessed with his Bravo housewives series and think this would be a fun, summer read too.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS