Tuesday, June 7, 2011

And the beat goes on....




As I mentioned in P's birthday post, he is a big fan of music, especially indie and folk music. I had been an avid music listener before we started dating, but he has opened my eyes to many more artists and songs. The area of the city we live is within walking distance to two great venues: 930 Club and Blackcat. In addition to those we have frequented shows at Rock and Roll Hotel and 6th and I Synagogue. Outside of the city, we have gone to concerts at Wolf TrapJiffy Lube Live, and Merriweather Post Pavilion.

This upcoming Saturday we'll be going to see M. Ward, Dawes, and Bright Eyes at Wolf Trap. I have been a fan of Bright Eyes since P and I started dating. I could play their song "First Day of My Life" over and over. Fingers crossed they play it on Saturday (confession: as much as I love hearing artists new music at concerts, it frustrates me when they don't play fan, well this fan's, favorites). I've also been listening to their new album, The People's Key, and while it is not as folk-y as their previous albums it is just as good and either way it should be a good show.

People's Key album cover

On Monday we will be seeing the Decemberists at Merriweather Post Pavilion. While I'm excited to see them perform their new album, The King is Dead, I would love to see them play Hazards of Love. That album was genius. When they were on tour in 2009 they played the entire album start to finish as it tells a story in sequential order. I also recommend their 2006 album, Crane Wife. Unfortunately we won't get to see Jenny Conlee (the Decemberistsr keyboardist/accordion player) since it was announced last month that she has breast cancer and would miss the May/June shows while she recovers from treatment. Here's hoping she has a speedy recovery and is able to join them on the road soon!

The King Is Dead
The King is Dead album cover

Some other artists I've been into the past few months are:

  • Adele - the 21 album is genius
  • Yeasayer - their sound is perfect for the summer
  • Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros - just check them out, you won't regret it
  • Arcade Fire - they didn't win the Grammy for nothing
  • Alexander and the Fam - this is Mr. Sharpe's other personality and just as good
  • Dale Earnhardt Jr Jr - we saw them do a free concert in our neighborhood last month and I guarantee they'll be huge by the end of the year, check out their song "Simple Girl"
Now my music selections are probably a little dated compared to P. He reads many music blogs and always knows the latest and greatest. Once his summer semester ends hopefully he will guest blog and share some of his favorites.

What music are you into these days?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS