Thursday, November 21, 2013

Marriage Advice

Anyone who is married usually acknowledges that it isn't perfect. Marriage is hard work and takes communication and commitment, amongst many things. While P and I were engaged we got all kinds of unsolicited marriage advice. P and I dated for seven years before we got engaged and had lived together for almost five so we kind of felt like we had it under control. And while for the most part we do, there are still new things we are learning about marriage and our relationship.

When asked to give marriage advice to a wedding magazine, Kate at The Small Things blog offered the following: "The best advice I got before getting married was to not ' set your husband up for failure.' In other words, don't expect him to read your mind or do certain things without you telling him it's important to you that he do them. When I expect things from Justin that I never even mention that I wanted, and he doesn't deliver, it's simply unfair for me to be upset with him! It's much better to communicate your needs with your husband so he has an opportunity to impress you and love you the way you need to be loved."

I love this piece of advice. It encourages communication and supporting one another. I admit that I have been guilty of setting P up for failure as it is described above and hope to make a more conscientious effort not to in the future.

Happiest day of my life!


What's the best favorite marriage advice you received?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS