Friday, August 26, 2011

Hello Mother Nature, long time no see....

We have had quite a week in Washington, D.C. and on most of the East Coast for that matter. On Tuesday afternoon most of us experienced our first earthquake while at work. I work in the older part of a government building that allowed us to feel the full affect of the quake. We were quickly evacuated and eventually released while the building was inspected. Because all of the circuits were quickly filled P and I weren't able to get in touch immediately. He didn't feel any part of the earthquake because he was in the elevator at the time. We both got home without much traffic delay and to one minor incident caused by the earthquake.

Books that fell off our tv stand as a result of the earthquake

Now we are bracing ourselves for Hurricane Irene. We are stocked up on snacks, water, and candles. The current prediction is we will get hit the hardest on Saturday night into Sunday morning. I suspect the worse that will happen is loss of power although I'm praying that doesn't happen. I'm hopeful that the storm's recent downgrade to a Category 1 means its impact won't be as severe to the Carolinas and Norfolk. I'll be praying for everyone's safety, especially for my aunts, cousins, dad, and Sheila who all live in those areas.

Even with Mother Nature knocking on our door all week I was able to have some fun. Last night I met up with Allison at Arundel Mills in Maryland for dinner and a movie. We saw The Help and it was so good. We had both read the book and really loved it. The choice in actresses was perfect and brought all the characters and the story to life.

I recommend reading the book before seeing the movie
After the movie, we headed to Michaels. Next to Target this is one of my favorite stores. I needed to stock up on supplies for the wedding scrapbook I've been making for Allison (which I'll share in a later post). We also were looking for supplies for a really cute craft for the guests to do at her baby shower next month. I can't wait!

Despite the gloomy weather forecast, I am looking forward to this weekend. It's one of the first weekends in months that P and I don't have plans. I'm happy for a good excuse to stay indoors and relax in sweatpants with good movies and even better company. Stay safe everyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS