Monday, August 22, 2011

Weekend Recap

Happy Monday (almost Tuesday at this point)!

I had such a great weekend but it left me exhausted. On Saturday I headed to Pennsylvania for Aubrey and Brent's baby shower. I have been working with Aubrey's mom the past few weeks making the arrangements and was so excited to see everything come together. Her mom and dad took care of all the food and I took care of decorations and planning a craft. It was a co-ed, cookout at their church pavilion and we had a great turn out. Aubrey and Brent got lots of goodies for baby Emig and I know they were excited to complete their nursery. I can hardly believe that the next time I'll see them it will be to meet the baby. She is due on September 28th which happens to be my birthday; it would be so exciting to share a birthday with baby Emig!

For the shower I made a few of the decorations myself. I made a banner that said "Baby Emig" to hang above the present table. I used cardstock, fabric, fabric glue, buttons, and twine. I simply cut long triangle shapes using the cardstock and cut out letters using the fabric. I glued buttons onto the letters for some added detail and then we hung it up with twine. I was really happy with the result (although it's a little hard to see here):


Aubrey's mom had the great idea to make "Mommy" and "Daddy" signs to hang on their chairs while they opened gifts. Using the leftover fabric and more cardstock I was able to make the signs. Instead of gluing buttons on the letters I used them to cover the holes to string the twine through. Here's how they turned out:


Finally I bought a bunch of white onesies in varying sizes and white bibs for each guest to decorate. I had seen this idea on several websites and Aubrey loved it. I think it's a really great way for the new parents to stock up for the baby and it gives the guests something fun to do during the shower. We hung the bibs and onesies on a clothesline with clothespins so they served as an added decoration.



After the shower, I headed down to Maryland to celebrate Allison's birthday and all the work she and Steve have done on their deck. I had such a good time chatting with their families and hilarious neighbor. The deck looks absolutely amazing (all that HGTV watching has paid off). We all enjoyed lots of laughs and really delcious food. By the time I left I was completely drained. Fortunately my mom lives just down the road from Allison so I called her for an impromptu sleepover. It was great to see my mom and catch up a little before I passed out.

As if my weekend had not been full enough, after getting back to DC on Sunday I went for a 3 mile run (I'm dedicated to my 10-K training, more on that later). Afterwards I met up with my old college roommate Sarah and our friend Emily at Zaytinya in Penn Quarter. I had never eaten there before but will definitely be going back with P. The food was so good and since it is small plates you really feel like you get to try a lot. It was so nice to catch up with more friends.

You may be wondering where P was during all of my fun. He spent most of Saturday revising a law article that has made it to the final round for consideration to be published in the GWU's AIPLA Quarterly Law Journal. It is such a great opportunity for him and I'm just praying it gets selected! Luckily he was able to get out on Saturday night to try some beers with some of his friends at a DC Beer Week celebration.

This is a pretty busy week at work for me with a big deliverable due on Wednesday. But I'm excited for Thursday when I'll be meeting up with Allison for dinner and to see The Help. I loved the book and have only heard great things about the movie. I'm also looking forward to this upcoming weekend where we have no plans besides P's orientation for the Law Journal on Sunday.

Sorry for the long-winded post, there was just so much to share. Hope you all have a great week! Can you believe summer is almost over?!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS