Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Wicked 10K

As I alluded to in an earlier post I am training for a 10K. I will be running the Wicked 10K in Virginia Beach on October 29th with my dad and Sheila. P and I ran the race two years ago but it wasn't my best finish. The training was difficult and inconsistent while I was in school part-time and working full-time. 

P and I in costume post race (check out P's beard!)

I am in the fourth week of my training schedule and it is going great so far. I'm easily running three miles and preparing to ramp up. From some reason the leap from three to four miles always intimidates me. But once I get the four miles under my belt I know miles five and six will come easily.

I guess you could say I've been a runner for almost ten years now. It started when I had to condition for soccer season in high school. I remember getting up and going on early morning runs with my dad. He would push and motivate me to go one more block - I actually still use that method when I feel myself tiring towards the end of a run. Both of my parents and Sheila are avid runners and they always inspire me to keep going.

When we lived in Hawaii my dad and I ran several 5Ks and I officially caught the running bug. Nothing feels better than passing people on the course and crossing the finish line. I ran several 5Ks at Penn State and ran my first marathon with P and our friend Tony in March 2008. Since then I've done a few 5Ks and 10Ks but it had been an ongoing challenge to fully train while in school.

Tony, P, and I in the early morning pre-race

I am by no means a fast runner and know I'll never win the races I participate in. But I love the feeling of accomplishment after a run. I even enjoy the soreness and aches that follow because they serve as a reminder of the hard work I've been doing. I am dedicated to the Wicked 10K and hope to get a PR (personal record). Even if I don't improve my race time, I still expect to feel satisfied since I'm able to devote more time and attention to my training. I have a feeling there is another half-marathon in my near future. I've had my eye on this one for a while....

1 comment:

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS