Monday, September 23, 2013

Tampa & Penn State

I am back from my work trip to Tampa and a weekend in Happy Valley. Both trips were a lot of fun but I am happy to be back home.

I arrived in Tampa on Monday afternoon. The conference was Tuesday through Thursday and we had a meeting with customers on Thursday afternoon. I left Friday morning and had enough time to repack and nap before we headed to Penn State.

The view of the bay from my hotel room. It was fairly warm all week but showers passed through between 3 and 6pm everyday which meant no pool time after conference events.
 
 On Tuesday night we went out for a delicious dinner at The Columbia which also featured a flamenco dancing show while we ate.

Saturday morning we woke up to an overcast morning. We had been watching the weather channel all week and knew rain was on the way. P and I walked around downtown, got bagels from our favorite cafe Irvings and stocked up on PSU gear.

Whenever we visit we get a picture at the Allen Street gates. We often would meet here after classes.

My in-laws were driving in from Ohio to join us for the game, my mother-in-law is a fellow PSU alum (I lived in the exact same apartment my last two years that she lived in her junior year, small world!). My father-in-law warned us that they drove through downpours most of their drive. He anticipated the rain would start around 2pm, and it did. We were hopeful that the mountains would help break it up or slow it down, but no luck.

This was Saturday's forecast. State College is right in the middle of Pennsylvania.

We decided to get lunch at one of our favorite BBQ places, Bar Bleu, to stay out of the rain until kickoff at 3:30pm. Around 3pm we started walking to the stadium. It was raining the whole time but nothing too heavy and we all had raincoats on. Just as we were walking to our seats a huge downpour started and we got soaked. Every part of us was wet but we still stayed until the beginning of the fourth quarter. The weather conditions were less than ideal but Penn State still pulled off a great win against Kent State, 34-0!

I pulled this picture from the web. It's about where we were sitting. I did not take a single picture during the game in fear of ruining my phone!
 
After warming up and changing into dry clothes we headed downtown for dinner and drinks. Sunday was a beautiful fall day in State College. We had breakfast at the Nittany Lion Inn with P's parents before they headed back to Ohio. Then we walked around campus some more before meeting Emily, a girl I used to babysit for. It is Emily's freshmen year and I was so excited when her mom told me she was going there. She is so smart and bright and has an amazing four years ahead of her. It was great to see her and treat her to a delcious Austrian lunch at Herwigs.
 
I can't believe I started babysitting her when she was four years old and now she's a college freshmen!
 
We left town shortly after and had a beautiful drive back to DC. Some of the trees in the mountains were just beginning to change color. This week I'm looking forward to cooler temperatures, a day off on Friday, and my birthday on Saturday!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS