Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Meal Planning

In an attempt to meet my New Year's resolution of being more mindful about what I eat, I am kicking up my effort to meal plan each week. I usually get into cycles when I'm good at this for 2-3 weeks then something in our schedules throws me off but I hope to be more consistent with this throughout the year.

On Sunday mornings I have been brainstorming meal ideas for the week and making a grocery list to get all of the ingredients I need. Then I put the planned meals in my calendar based on what other plans we have going on that week with quicker, no fuss meals being cooked on busier days.



The biggest challenge with meal planning lately has been P's work schedule. His case is going to trial next month which means lots of late nights this month. I'm looking for recipes that reheat easily if he gets home at a reasonable hour or or that freeze well for future meals.

Here's an example of this weeks meal plan:

\\Sunday\\ - Wegmans* beef tenderloin, twice baked potato, roasted green beans
\\Monday\\ Wegmans jerk chicken, twice baked potato (leftover from previous night), brussel sprouts
\\Tuesday\\ Spaghetti Bake
\\Wednesday\\ Our new favorite chili from Newlyweds: North
\\Thursday\\ Leftovers
\\Friday\\ Dinner with friends
\\Saturday\\ Dinner with Aubrey & our goddaughter

*About once every two months I make a trip to Wegmans (it's about a 35 minute drive from the city so it seems like a big trip especially when we have grocery stores two blocks away) to stock up on proteins. They always have a great selection and much better prices than the city.

My next goal is to try a new recipe each week either from one of the many amazing cookbooks I've received or from Pinterest. I'll try to most some of the hits (and probably misses) in the near future.

What are some of your favorite go-to recipes?

1 comment:

  1. Your spaghetti bake has become one of my go-tos over the years! :)

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS